View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #27
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
My go to on this is ‘is there a belt part no change’ and if so do you need to move to those belts so you’re good for 5 years.
Belts have evolved over the years both in materials and construction. There's an interesting (former Ducati Up North) article on the Ducati Community forum about this here:

https://www.ducati.community/threads...ruction.10994/

While, as far as I'm aware, the Evo belts haven't changed since the bike appeared in 2010, the exact same belts were fitted to the 1100 Scrambler and that had a five-year service life from new.

I remember when the Scrambler was first released, Bike Magazine took one out along with Claudio Domenicali. They quizzed him about the resurrection of the 1100 motor and Domenicali said that, in fact, it had been extensively reworked and about the only parts it shared with the Monster were the belts and timing system.

I've had my Evo from new and I inspected the belts after two years. As there were no signs of any wear, I decided to run them for another 12 months. I changed them after three years and they still looked like new.

I ran the next set of, (genuine Ducati), belts for four years, (with annual condition checks), and again, they showed no sign of wear. So, based on experience and the fact that the same belts on the Scrambler have a five year life, I wouldn't have any problem running the Evo's current belts for five years, (they're currently three years old). Of course, the longer you run them, the more important condition checks are, especially tension as you wouldn't want an otherwise sound belt to jump a tooth because it's become too slack.

I haven't checked the service schedule of the 'five-year' models but I wouldn't be surprised if they recommend a belt inspection every two years or so.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote