View Single Post
Old 15-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #20
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I’m thinking that the crankshaft spins fastest, which amplifies the effect, the clutch is a bit slower, and the wheels rotate slower still, though I’d need to look up the primary and other gear ratios to quantify that.

Conversely, the back wheel has mass furthest from its spin axis, which amplifies the effect there. Without numbers I don’t have a feel for where the best overall value is gained?
Without a doubt the wheels spin slower but they are considerably heavier.

IMO the biggest difference is in the wheels - I changed the original (heavy) 3-spoke wheels for 10-spoke forged Marchesini on the 916 and it was like I'd bought a new bike.

My 916 also has a light flywheel and the engine pickup is almost telepathic to the throttle grip, as is the spinning down, only downside is if revved hard when cold it will stop when it spins down as it comes down so quickly, whereas the Monster despite having a lighter still flywheel spins down slower - presumably because carbs rather than injection and a longer stroke?

As for crank speed to clutch speed, on a 916 it's half speed (2:1 primary), an M900 a little more as, IIRC ratio is 1.84:1?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote