View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
As the shaft doesn't stick out of the needle a puller isn't going to be much help, then if the stepper motor is shot then it doesn't matter too much if you do just tug it off. If it isn't then you might break something in which case the steppers are going to be fairly standard items, it's just finding which 'standard'. I guess any instrument panel that uses steppers, a good car cluster repairer ought to have these as off the shelf parts.
I did swap one out from an acccident damaged cluster to fix a speedo on a 750IE and the needles did pull off fairly easily(ish)
The lights are from memory SMD LED's so tiny surface soldered items with a light guide up to the coloured lens.
Yes they are replaceable but removing and refitting SMD's is a right PIA, again a cluster repairer could probably do this or someone good with mini hot air blowers and tiny soldering irons in the electronics industry ought to be able to.

I'd find someone to do it for you

Last edited by Nickj; 05-08-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote