View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #1053
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Solid progress was made today but one screw up which will be an hour or so setback.

I tested the vertical cylinder inlet valve with methylated spirit and that is also a success, not a trace in the combustion chamber when the stuff was poured into the inlet port.

Time to remove the horizontal cylinder head, the nuts were a lot more reluctant to budge than the vertical cylinder ones and on a couple of occasions the creaking and cracking noises made me think I had sheared a couple of the studs.

As you would expect the front cylinder is much more exposed to the elements and the condition of the head and barrel and the stainless(?) steel studs illustrates it perfectly – really cruddy.
The carbon in the head was oilier, not scorched on and crusty like the vertical cylinder. The bore is nicely run in with no scoring etc.

The inlet valve was in very good condition

The valve clearances were miles out, both closing shims at 0.08mm (should be between 0.03mm and 0.05mm). The opening clearance were 0.23mm inlet and 0.17mm exhaust when they should be between 0.10mm and 0.12mm.

I decoked the head and cleaned up the valves and set the clearances for both opening and closing for the inlet and exhaust valves (+0.01mm on both the closing clearances and both openers at 0.10mm)

The closing shims I have taken out have all shown some signs of chattering on the wire spring clips as the engagement groove in the shim is shiny and in some cases showing signs of erosion.
I have been lucky because I have not needed to re- use any of these old shims nor have I neededany additional shims as all those needed have been different sizes. In all cases I have had to us wet and dry to get them right.

The screw up was that in putting the vertical head together I used the wrong valve stem cap, green ones are exhaust and black ones are inlet, so that will have to be disassembled and put right. It was too bloody cold in the garage today to get that changed over today

Below is a picture of the camshaft oil seal collar showing where the oil seal has worn the hardened steel (or rather the road grid excluded by the seal has collected and damaged the collar. Yesterday I bit the bullet and ordered two new ones.
upload images online

My new studs should be here on Monday, hopefully in the same post as my HD stud remover.
Ever the optimist I might have the engine back together before Christmas unless fresh disasters befall me.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote