Thread: Tyre time
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The first tyres I had on the Monster were Diablo Stradas
Worth noting that if your bike is supposed to have a 170 rear, stick with a 170. A 180 will ruin the handling!
First tyres I had fitted on mine (after the horrendous Dunlop D207’s it came with) were Pirelli Dragon Evo’s- long since out of production but still my favourite road tyre on the Monster!!

I think the S2R’s went up to a 180/55x17 as standard from the 900’s original 170/60x17- pretty sure the rim width didn’t increase with the change though so maybe the slight geometry chance with the ‘ST’ frame helped with the wider rear but I totally agree with you, on the early (888) framed bikes (hoop suspension) the 170 section rear is certainly best for handling.

I had Metzeler Sportec M5’s on my Yammy Thundercat and they were fantastic on that- it carried a few kilos more than the Monster mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh93 View Post
There's been talk on other sites about this and Michelin Road Pilot 4 or 5's seem to get the thumbs up
Currently have Michelin Pilot 4’s on the Monster and have to say, I’m not a fan- I’ve said before- I ended up raising the rear ride height even more than it was to stop the front feeling like it was in treacle.

Worst still is they seem to last for ages- they is coming off soon though I can tell ya!!

Last edited by Flip; 28-07-2021 at 09:30 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote