View Single Post
Old 23-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #15
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
A couple of years ago I tried to get my head round how the hoop suspension and rocker all worked together, it was something Utopia, Capo and I were churning over.
I ended up making a full size model out of MDF with the relative pivot points accurately set out. I made the shock telescopic and also the hoop, so that I could try and fathom what happened when the hoop was lengthened with ride height extenders.
All I would say is that there is a hell of a lot going on there geometrically without even factoring the dynamic aspect of it all and factors like sag and preload.
I know the geometry is different from the hoop on the rod system, but the principle is the same. Studying subtle changes on the model did my head in and all I would say is that in my opinion the notion of replacing a 305 shock with a 330 one is utterly doomed. That's just my opinion, but I just wouldn't go there.

If you don't believe me try making a model, or just plotting it out on paper.

Utopia still has the model, he might oblige you with a photo?
That’s why I said to adjust the static sag so that the installed shock length becomes the same as the installed length of the shorter 303mm shock.

As the geometry of the suspension is unchanged, one problem I can foresee is that by taking out an inch of the damper travel at rest, it may bottom out under load?

Also, the spring and damping rates may no longer be optimal for your weight in the different suspension configuration.