View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Talking I've done it now! (696 test ride review)

My thoughts on the 696 below.

The good points:

* Confidence inspiring handling - I wouldn't go so far as to say I'll start loving downhill left hand hairpins on the Monster, but I felt so much more confident going into bends. Instead of that horrible knot in my stomach on a 90 degree left hander, I found the Bike Grin developing!
* The lovely forgiving engine. My current bike is a 400cc Suzuki Bandit, where I'm constantly going up and down the gearbox, chasing a limited powerband, while the Monster had oodles of grunt, whatever gear I was in (ok, apart from bottom which is lumpy and horrible) with plenty left over. I didn't have that feeling that I was in the wrong gear in lots of bends - the engine makes up for my inadequacies as a rider.
* Torque - I hadn't realised what I was missing until now!
* It's so light! The 400 felt a little top heavy in comparison when I got back on it afterwards.
* Nice light clutch and reasonable gearbox.
* Front brake is usable even at low speed - no fork dive and traffic light wobbliness.
* Character - it isn't one of those bikes that is screaming come on if you think you're hard enough, but it still has presence. The 696 looks are growing on me.
* It's red, Italian, and a Ducati!

Not so good points

* The vibey twin thing took a bit of getting used too (and made me appreciate how smooth the inline 4 engine in my baby Bandit is) but hey.
* Ride is certainly firmer than I'm used to (the flip side of the sharper steering I guess - stiffer suspension).
* I can see why the blokes might look to change the seat, as you're pressed right up against the tank.
* The back brake is as useless as an appendix.
* I can see why magazine journalists don't rate it as a motorway bike. I'm used to the naked bike windblast, but combined with the vibeytwin thing it would be quite tiring for long distances.
* The sound on starting it up was, dare I say it, a little agricultural. (No doubt this will be met with advice to buy Termis ...)
* It will make me a lazier rider, rather than necessarily a technically better one, but it will make me a much more confident and happier one.

After a certain amount of consideration (only one cup of tea's worth), I gave Snells in Alton a deposit, and all being well, should have the new toy next weekend or the weekend after.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote