View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
I also replaced the battery with a Shido lithium. Because I didn't trust the lead-acid at all anymore... The Shido is exactly the same size as the Yuasa so no messing about packing it with foam pads to match the battery cables.

Did a little research on this too. Turns out the Shido, Skyrich, Deltran, WPS, SPS and Magneti Marelli lithium batteries are all the same - except for the colour of the case. These brands are typically marketed into different regions - but many/most of those companies are actually owned by the same parent company, Hangzhou Wanma High-Energy Battery Co Ltd. - the clue being the (identical) little 3 LED charge indicator on the top they all have...

They all have a built-in battery (cell) management system (BMS), and they have over-voltage protection. I poked about a bit - but although the JMT (which I also considered) has a BMS, I couldn't find any mention of it having an over-voltage protection whatsoever. If the regulator dies again (which hopefully it won't), last thing I want is a fire under the tank because the voltage exceeded 15V...

Oh, does SkyRich sound familiar? Probably because they're OEM fitment for Ducati... But don't spring 170 quid for the Ducati charger, buy a Norco Genius 2 instead for 1/3 the price.

End result? Motor whizzes over energetically on the button, fires/starts happily. I get 14.1V at idle across the tender connector (which I basically fitted as the easiest way to check the voltage with the tank down, heh) and 13.8V at idle with the brights on full.

And when I get back from a ride, like I just did, the tach is still behaving itself. Yeh, I'm gonna call that good

Last edited by spuggy; 12-07-2020 at 05:12 PM..
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote