View Single Post
Old 13-02-2024, 07:22 PM   #17
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Biggest mistake people make is thinking bigger the bore the better
Just for the record, I wouldn't have chosen the bigger bore (50mm) headers of my system.
But the rest of the system was exactly what I wanted so I put up with the bigger bore.
Mind you, although I cringe slightly at my shallowness here, I have to admit that the 50mm headers do look cool.

Also, on the silencing capabilities of one can vs two, I said this ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
On the downside, where one can is doing all of the silencing for the entire system (remember that each cylinder exhausts through both silencers simultaneously in the std system), I imagine its harder to keep the noise level down. That has been my experience anyway, albeit fairly limited.

Coupled with its short..ish, straight through carbon can and a homemade db killer, I struggle to keep it quiet.
And yes, its true that my system is not the quietest but its certainly not twice as loud as a two can system. Far from it.
My earlier comment may have given an overstated impression.

On weight comparison, my previous system was std headers with high level link pipes to a pair of DP titanium straight-through cans.
Weight comparisons are as follows ...

std headers = 2.52kg
DP titanium can plus high level link pipe 2,41kg x2
Total = 7.34kg

Sil Moto system
Complete pipework inc high level link pipe = 2.12kg
Carbon can = 1.14kg
Total = 3.26 kg

As you can see there is a considerable weight saving of over 4kg, even compared to a system using twin, super-lightweight cans.
Mind you, direct comparisons are always tricky and I should point out that although the Sil Moto headers use bigger bore pipe, they are much thinner wall and as the above figures show, slightly lighter than the std, small bore headers.

Although I do value the weight saving (its hard to shake off Capo's influence) but for me, the simplicity of the single can system, both visually and mechanically, is the overall deciding factor.
On the other hand, those who's personal preference is for twin-can symmetry may disagree.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote