Thread: My M750 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #77
Taff666

Beware paint strippers

Due to financial, recreational and time restraints (ie Just had her Christmas prezzy list, off on hols next week and currently working 12 hour days) this build will be on hold until the Christmas hols.

When I can afford the Dynojet kit that I need (£98 if anyone feels like contributing.....) and have some spare time the job will resume (Sorry JMH900sie -Joe - ultrasonic carb cleaning will have to hang on until the New Year)

I have decided to carry on with jobs that are free, like redoing the paintwork - black with red, white + green stripes just wasn't of a good enough standard or bling enough for the rest of the bike, so I have stripped the tank and am currently spending loadsa time sanding and priming, 5 coats so far and now down to 1000 grade wet and dry.

The fella I bought the bike from (he says he bought it new) swears he never dropped it or damaged the tank, and yet there are 2 areas of filler on the tank which appear to be underneath the original red paint - anyone heard of tanks being sorted like this from the factory?

WARNING TO ALL - Be very careful with masks, gloves etc when using strong paint strippers- the one I used had big f**k off letters saying "This substance has been suspected of causing cancers" (Don't want to sound like your granny, but I was sh**ting myself every time I opened the can!)