View Single Post
Old 15-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #26
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Hi guys just as an update:

After reading around the net a lot of people were recommending EMSDUC in the US for shims, even to UK buyers, as a good alternative to Ducati. I get they do the shim kits that would be a God send for regular maintenance but I thought I'd try my luck just ordering what I needed for a start.

So I've ordered 6 shims. 2 openers at $8.50 and 4 closers at $9.50 totalling $55 or £42.08. So far so good... but shipping on top was $33.95 which brought it to a total of $88.95 for the order or £68.06.

I placed the order on the 1st Sep thinking I should have them within a week as peoples reviews said stuff showed up fast from the US. I got the customs letter through the post today to pay the import duty on them and they can deliver Tuesday at the earliest so 18 days to arrive plus and extra £24.88 for import duty.

So the grand total £92.94 and 18 days door to door for 6 shims.

For comparison at https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com the Openers are £11.62 and the closers are £24.80 each. The postage is only £6.99 but the order total would have come to £129.43 door to door.

Another site, StarTwinMotors at www.oemducati.com, are £9.40 for openers and £20.06 for closers so my order total would have been £99.02 but didn't get to see the shipping price as I had to start accepting terms and conditions to go further.

So to round it up the parts only total for each site:

EMSDUC £42.08 + £24.88 duty = £66.96
Bike-Parts-Ducati = £122.44
Star Twin Motors = £99.02

And postage costs:

EMSDUC £25.98
Ducati = £6.99
Star Twin Motors = £ Not Known

EMS come in as being the cheapest even without knowing the cost of Star Twin Motors postage. Although the postage is a bit pricey as a jet kit I ordered from the States was only $18 to ship back from a different vendor. But if you need the parts faster you would have to put your hand in your pocket for one of the others.

If anyone can recommend any more places in the UK for getting them at a decent price then drop the name in a reply and I'll add links to the opening posts.
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote