View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Well done Macflurry. Blue Peter badge and bar for this thread.

I must learn to do my own valves, as I dread the day that Carl Harrison retires. I always entrust this job with him, the only job I don't do myself.

From my observations and not experience... I think when all the measuring is done and it's time to remove the collets or "half rings". You can slip the belts off and keep the piston at TDC to catch the valve. The cam can then be rotated to the best place to get the rockers out of the way.
A magnetic probe (screwdriver or whatever) should be used to pick the collets out.
This is particularly useful if the rings have broken up, which mine seem to do every time!
Not sure if the allen key would stop the little bits that result?

I thought that MBP collets fit the standard shims, I believe that one of the selling points is that they fit them better than the half rings?
I have heard that the MBP collets can embed themselves into the valve stems making them impossible to remove without having the head off and cutting the valve.

Edit... Oops sorry I almost duplicated DD's post!
Thanks bud!!

The allen key definitely wouldn't stop shattered parts. I was wary that it may not stop whole collets but I could have used a bigger key. I read a couple of peoples pages saying to use ear plugs, which makes sense if you get the tapered ones, then they would fit nicely.

I've personally not used the MBP parts but one of the blogs read that if you used them you had to swap out the other parts. I'm happy to take peoples direct experience over what I've read on the net as the info I saw may be outdated. I'll also head to the manufacturer site later today and see if there's anything else to be aware of.

Belts off definitely seems to be the way forward. When I first started taking things apart I was wary of touching them as it was something else to go wrong as it went back together. But since taking them off after it isn't as bad as I thought... will confirm that once it's back together though!!
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote