View Single Post
Old 16-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
tweedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Two 796s with starting problems in one day? Must be something in the water! (See jonzi's thread.)

You say the the oil light comes on - did it do this before it cut out or only after the engine stopped? If it illuminated while running then it needs investigating but if it only comes on after the motor's stopped, there's no problem - that's what it's meant to do.

As for the battery, have you checked the voltage on the dash (pushing the mode rocker switch forward once should display the voltage on the dash (at least it does on the Evo).

Nine years is certainly old for a battery so it could well need replacing. Have you seen any error messages on the dash e.g. 0008 r.SW and/or 0005 r.SW?

It's always a good idea to check both battery terminals are tight and clean plus the main earth connector and the line to the starter solenoid. Also check that the injector relay is pushed fully home. Mine worked its way loose and caused similar symptoms to yours.

Good luck!

The injector relay is number 15 on this diagram:

And lives on the battery box (number 6 on this diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim88 View Post
This may not help with your problem I'm afraid because the symptoms are not quite the same. Monster starting/re-starting problems are quite common however and it might be good to gather them all together somehow? Maybe as a thread?. I have had a couple, and one which is a little like yours occurs when I am coming back from a run and just creeping along the pavement to my house in first, I flick it into neutral while holding in the clutch, then pop down the centre stand release the clutch ...and the bike dies and will not restart. Seems to be that sometimes the neutral switch does not fully activate and the bike thinks it is in gear and hence cuts out when the clutch is released with side stand down. A lot of problems i think are related to these three switches; side stand, neutral swithch and clutch switch.

Thanks for your replies!

Pretty new to the monster (got it October 2018) so still working out bits and bobs on the bike.

Im pretty sure the oil light just came on after the bike cut out. If it did, it sounds re-assuring that its supposed to do that.

I have had the bike apart this evening. Battery out, multimeter on it and it's reading 12.7. It is a Yuasa yt12b-bs ... seems cheap enough to pick up another anyway, but I've got the other one on charge for now to see if it makes any difference.

Ive had a good look at the terminals around about and all are fully home. The terminals on the battery were clean and tight too. What seems strange to me is that the bike is cutting out after a short while of idling, then will not restart. Its what's making me think more down the lines of sensors ....

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Im supprised google / youtube / the forums haven't flashed up with more info tbh. Might call into my local Ducati dealership tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks a lot!