View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
tweedy

Starting Gremlins!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with some recent bike starting issues I've been having ...

Ducati Monster 796 2010 model. Approx 5k on the clock.

______

About a week ago I had a little bit of an issue starting the bike. Ignition on - dash lit up, made all of the usual noises but then when I pressed the starter it didn't even want to crank / start. Made a small electronic noise and nothing else.

I turned the bike off and waited a minute, then tried again .... again, nothing there.

I flicked the indictors on and off, headlights, kill switch etc ... but when I pressed the horn the bike reset and then started after I re-pressed the starter. STRANGE! but didn't think anything else of it ... off I went on a ride in the sun.

I then went to go out Wednesday just gone ... the bike started first time and it was left to idle on the side stand for a minute or two whilst I locked the house up. As soon as I got on the bike it cut out and the red oil light lit up. At first, I thought it could have had something to do with it being on the side stand. The oil is toward the upper line on the sight glass and the bike hasn't even done 1000 miles since its last service.

I popped it onto the paddock stand and started it again after a few minutes. it starts to run then cuts out ... again, with the oil light. After it cuts out, it won't start again.

My initial thought before the oil light kept coming on was maybe it was the battery? The bike doesn't get used daily and I'm not sure if its ever been replaced over the last 9 years.

I will be getting access to the battery over the weekend to check the Voltage / get some details from it incase I need to order another. But I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what they think it might be before I do buy another battery!?!

Thanks in advance!

Tweedy.