Thread: Battery Voltage
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #22
CarloL

Bike: M900
Last Saturday, charged battery fully on a trickle charger , went for a good spin, parked up , came back after an hour , bike would not start (Starter button did nothing) , I started to scratch my head , I could not leave it in town, would get lifted over night, fiddled with the cables, all of a sudden the starter button fired it into life

Went home I took the battery out to see if something was loose on the starter solenoid ; turned out the 2 pin plug on the starter solenoid came loose

I said , lets get this fixed once and for all , cannot relax thinking , will it start again if I take this out for a spin

Sanded the OE loom Cable (looked fine, just slightly tarnished, light coffee colour)
Cable to the starter Solenoid is new (this was replaced 2 weeks ago)
Ground Cable is a new OE cable from during the summer
Starter Solenoid is new from the Summer
LED Battery Health indicator is new from the Summer(trickle charger quick connect on it & led looks like an Alarm)
I still have to replace the Starter Solenoid to Starter Motor cable

Greased up all the cables/battery posts with electrical conductive paste, ensured the OE Loom + cable was the first on the post , followed by the new cable to the starter solenoid , then the Tracker eyelid on top, then the eyelid for the LED battery health indicator

took it for a spin , no issues , no hesitation (misfiring); she looks a fully charged battery

Left it for the week with the expectation the battery will be flat , I headed out with the intention of having to remove the battery to charge it

Bike started fine today , was sitting up a full 7 days

I presume the arrangement of the cables on the battery post made a difference to the charge across the battery

Last edited by CarloL; 19-10-2019 at 05:46 PM..
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote