View Single Post
Old 29-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #33
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
So, last night I finished the second (temporary) adaptor stub with the tapered bore.
Worked a treat.
I also found that I can fine tune the fit of the system by adjusting the effective length of the stubs.
This will be very handy, particularly as my first attempt at shortening the headers for the 750 (by removing 10mm from the rear one) had been a tad ambitious.

I then took the plunge and hacked off all of the damaged section from the front header.
I also hacked Capo's old link pipe (actually from an S4RS, it turns out) into a suitable length to replace the removed section.
As a happy accident, the connector sleeves on the end of said S4RS link pipes were cut off to yield a pair of close-fitting external sleeves which will enable me to temporarily join the pipes together during the initial re-fitting process, prior to welding.
With any luck I will also be able to use them, along with clamps, to hold the mating sections together during tack-welding (which will have to be done off the bike). I'll just drill three holes in the sleeves, to access the welds.

So, I'm off to the shed now with a collection of bits of pipe, hacksaw, file and cuppa.
And a bit of a grin.

A few days ago I was thinking that I might get this system modded and welded, ready to use by late spring.
The Weekender was a loose deadline.
I now rather fancy that I might phone the welder as early as later this week.
I love it when jobs go smoothly. Its often the other way round.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote