View Single Post
Old 12-02-2024, 12:40 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
There will certainly be a weight saving and little drag too.
I reckon you should be able to coax a hp out of it with a bit of thought, or possibly make it worse without?

With what little I know, it's all down to the exhaust pulses and how they join together in a common tube.
On an L twin the pulses are uneven, two close together and then a big gap on each cycle.
I reckon that if you were to make the trailing pulse arrive at the junction a bit later by using a longer pipe for that cylinder, it might even things up and make the flow in the pipes better.
If you got it wrong and gave the first pulse the longer pipe it would bring them closer together with adverse affects.
No idea which fires first or second? Hopefully its the vertical that's first as it would be difficult to lengthen that one, whereas the front pipe has already got a head start.
Maybe the standard system already addresses the above as they have different length headers for each pot as far as the collector.

Note that on the 1200 they Siamese, and they have obviously gone to convoluted lengths (See what I did there?) to get the rear pipe longer.

Conversely I think it's the Cagiva Elefant that has nearly no rear pipe at all!

There must be something about this in Phil Irvins "Tuning for speed" if you can find a copy