Thread: Friday Task
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #8
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
After a bit of messing about with the klaxon it seems the circuitry is passing current and my first observation was correct in that the two wires should connect either end of the condenser, it looks like someone has tried repairing it in the past as there are horrible globs of solder on the wires, I can,t find the tails coming out of the condenser so cannot get an ohm reading and obviously can't re-solder and even if I did I doubt it would work and of course the outer wax paper with the information on it is long gone so I need to try and work out what value it should be and somehow find another or modern equivalent

If it is a capacitor (condenser) try substituting a condenser as fitted across ignition points and see if that works. If the component is trashed then cutting it in half across its diameter will tell you what it is, or was! A capacitor will consist of a long piece of waxed paper with foil on either side, a resistor probably a card or ceramic tube filled with carbon powder, or a high power low resistance one will have a coil around the outside (like an old electric fire element) I'm more inclined to think the component in your photograph is a capacitor.

Hope this helps and good luck, Martin

Last edited by Martin Duke; 27-02-2021 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typo!
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote