View Single Post
Old 24-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #14
buzzer

Bike: M900
Thought I would update this with the reason the bike wouldn’t run… it may help others in the future..

I had initially bought the bike as a none runner… It looked like several people had had a go at repairing it, there were two invoiced in the documents, one for £200 where they failed to find the fault, and one for £350 from 2010 where they had replaced the ignition pickups but the invoice stated the bike needed new carbs. It has stood since 2010!

On initial investigation I found a hole in the pipe from the manifold to the fuel pump, (see the picture) and initially thought this was the reason it wouldn’t run. I repaired the pipe and although it now started, it wouldn’t rev at all. Soon as you gave it any throttle, it cut out completely.
It had a good spark so I initially thought it was the carbs, so I stripped and rebuilt them… still no joy… I used a spray with petrol in and sprayed neat petrol into the carbs… still cut out.

This is why I thought it was the CDI units. Today I put the strobe on and looked through the window… no timing marks. So I took the cover up and started it up (yes I got covered in oil!) and noticed that the timing on BOTH cylinders was way out. Knowing the pickups had been replaced, I wondered if they had connected the wires back to front. I took the wires out of the pickup plugs on the coils and swapped them over. It ran perfectly!

So it looks like the original fault may have been the pipe with a hole in it… but this was miss diagnosed to being the pickups. Which introduced a new fault on the bike when these were wired incorrectly!

Thank for your help and suggestions guys.
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote