View Single Post
Old 14-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #509
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Hello all I guess its time to return to the Monster after a whole year away from it. Something in these last 2 weeks has made me determined to start the ball rolling again. Having lost my friend Geoff last week bought it home and just speaking to him 2 weeks ago about getting cracking again I feel I owe it to him to move my butt into the garage again. This was somewhat easier said and done a few weeks ago as the last time Monster moved was the day of returning home from the weekender 2018 limping in limp mode. It hasn't turned a wheel since as feeling very despondent.
That year out I have as some may know turned my hand to making electric guitars and 4 guitars later the garage needed a sort out and electrics upgraded and lighting and lots of hoovering of sawdust and crap I seem to have collected over 12 years living here.
So tonight I started to clean off the said dust from the Monster and the Scrambler the other love of my life for 4 years now and can actually see some Red paint now.
She is still the same and still never yet ridden in the rain as that weekender was a hot one. Still has the flies on the headlight and still has missing the nylon washers from the front mudguard bolts where they vibrated off on the ride out.
I have ready at least to now use another clutch reservoir of early type with chamfer which was pointed out by another member to match the brake one. I also got a NOS very early rear number plate light from the USA with the 2 screws you can see. Not really that cool but once again pointed out to me as that's what the earliest models had. I don't doubt mine had this light originally but I wanted that look.
So my plan is now I have space ( not much space but some ) to now swap the Monster over with the XT500 on the lift as that's had the crank replaced and buttoned up also electronic ignition and 12v and ready to go.
I will then take her apart and drop engine and get the pistons swapped out and get the frame professionally repainted this summer. Who knows if I ride her this year but I hope for next years weekender its reborn again and better than ever.
I will keep you all posted as also it now seems my thread has been overtaken by Richards slow monster rebuild lol and also picture hosting is too much hassle on sites now.
Albie.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote