Thread: Clutch Drag…
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2023, 12:57 PM   #23
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

I know nothing about slipper clutches, but I can work out that there is some sort of automatic clutch actuation involved which must have a starting point. Is there adjustment on the slipper mechanism?
Simple back-torque limiter clutch, levels the torque between the motor and driven wheel. Usually a set of 5 or so pairs of ramps _//_ that when you put lots of torque through them slide. The sliding turns the rotation into movement along the axis of the clutch that can be used to push the plates apart a little. Great if you stomp down the gears, the motor doesn't over rev (so much) and the rear wheel doesn't hop (so much) or lock up. Really not fantasticly useful on a road bike but goes with the 'race derived technology' that gets used to advertise bikes, very handy for track days though.
Can be a right royal PIA to get working right.
The 748R has one but it's really crude and was only fitted to homolgate slippers into the ducati race bikes of the time. Besides ii only takes a little finesse to rapidly run down the box as the ratios are so close to start with.

If you have to start grinding away at the clutch with emery or filing the clutch basket where the tangs have made anything more than a smalll polished area then it's a sign from above that it's not well and a visit to your local parts emporium is indicated.