Thread: Leaky carb
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
Thanks all for the replies and for the tips etc.
Flip, I figured someone would pick up on my recent post about not working with the carbs every year, and here i am a few days later!!! lol
I only removed the tank after the event so it was on the bike when the leakage happened. The additive was called ethanol shield, recommended and sold by a local biker who uses it in multiple bikes every year. I figure that possibly the vacuum tap is not sealing given the amount of petrol in the bottom end and in the front pot, much more, i suspect, than a carb full. Something i need to check and sort. Might consider also fitting a manual tap as an added safeguard.
Looks like i will just bite the bullet and take the carbs off and clean them and replace any thing that looks dozed/perished etc. I will also change the petrol filter, good advice, i had already changed the sender unit nut a few years ago (to a new plastic one) so that's fine for now.
Hopefully emzedder, there's no damage done, particularly a twisted crank!! Will find out when i get it up and running again, but it seemed to be turning smoothly after i took the plugs out and spun it on he button.
I'll get at it later in the week, fingers crossed.