View Single Post
Old 13-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #960
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Re the above I do not understand why R =1.414 - what is the origin of the equation? why is it the square root of 2 x weight?

Today’s efforts, two laminations on the tank top, which, fingers crossed, seem to go OK. I will find out today when I remove it from the mould.
The seat hump pad also got 3 laminations.
Next I turned my attention to making a “guide” for the wiring loom to pass through the infill panel and around the headstock. Forming a 37mm diameter tube from 1mm aluminium went surprisingly well but panel beating a 60 degree curve in it was beyond me. I decided therefore to make it by aluminium “welding”. It took nearly all day and 4 attempts to get the shape I wanted. The first two were just not the right shape and /or the exit port pointed in the wrong direction, the third I managed to burn a hole whilst trying to weld it and the fourth I was reasonably happy with.
Before bonding the tube to the CF infill panel I thought I had better offer it up to make absolutely sure the angle was right and then it dawned on me that with the two parts bonded together there would be insufficient clearance for the completed part to be inserted into place. Complete waste of half a day and back to the drawing board but with no real clue as to how to actually achieve the objective.

ETTC is now down to 216 hours. The biggest challenges going forward are:
1) Bonding the top and bottom tank halves together successfully
2) Resolving the seat mounting/height/fore and aft positioning
3) Brake pipe/clutch pipe/throttle cable routing
4) Setting up the Hall effect ignition
5) Overhauling the cylinder heads (lapping the valves, new valve guide seals, valve shim collets) and setting valve clearances
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote