View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #805
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Had a play on the lathe today and knocked up a third mount for the case saver. It started as a 30mm length of 25mm aluminium bar and was machined down to 24mm to match the boss on the crankcase then 12mm for 14mm and then threaded 12mm x 1.5mm. The crankcase rear most hole was drilled 10.7mm and then tapped 12mm x 1.5mm.

In an ideal world I would have re-made the SS case saver with the lug for the third attachment point made sufficiently long so that it could attach to a centrally mounted stud, but the 2mm stainless steel was a swine to bend to shape so I made do with the same width lugs and an eccentrically drilled/tapped hole. I obviously still need to drill the remaining holes in the case saver lugs and then trim them to fit the alternator case mounting holes. I may also have to trim the top of the case saver as it may foul the frame engine mounting tube when I come to put the engine back in. In any event the return bend will need to be adjusted for a better fit to the engine bolt boss.
An hour or so standing at the lathe meant I needed a sit down job so I took the gold anodising off the rear wheel adjusters. Picture also shows the titanium rocker spindle and hoop attachment and suspension unit studs

Tomorrow its back on the fibre-glassing, repairing and polishing moulds, I find I need to run my garage clothes twice through the washing machine afterwards and even then they are still itchy when I put them back on.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote