View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #796
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Along with the usual fibre glassing, I machined a blanking plug for the alternator case today from some 1” hexagon aluminium bar. (I could not find any 25mm hexagon so I shall end up with one (probably two) non metric fixings on the bike).
I shall be running the FastBikegear hall effect ignition trigger which operates from the cam belt pulley (half engine speed so no wasted spark and better recovery time for the coils) so the original Monster flywheel ignition triggers are redundant and the trigger lead which exits the alternator case through a gland in a brass threaded component is also no longer required The brass component is 22mm x 1.5mm. It is the same thread as the sump plug which is cast brass and has a tendency for stripping its internal hexagon (due to the sides of the hexagon not being parallel but rather slightly tapered to facilitate removal from the mould during manufacture.
I bought a die off fleabay for about a tenner to make the blanking plug and also to make a hexagon headed sump plug
Unfortunately I cannot locate my largest die holder (put somewhere safe no doubt) so I had to improvise. Those of you of a nervous disposition/ mechanical sensitivity should look away now.

Not subtle but in any event it worked and a good and concentric thread was formed which was nice and snug when fitted in the alternator case i.e. no need for thread tape. I parted it off with about a 4mm depth of head and took off the machining marks with some wet and dry.
I then buffed up the head to match the “chrome” powder coated alternator case. Just as I was putting the finishing touches on the buffer I snagged it and it shot out of my hand, hit the fluorescent light fitting at about 100mph ricocheting floor-ward into the bowels of my garage never to be seen again. It could have gone anywhere and I spent about an hour looking in all the likely (and even some unlikely places) it could have ended up but it was not there. Tomorrow I shall have to do it all again
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote