Thread: Clutch push rod
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I bought some Motul RBF600 fluid shortly after CarloL suggested it.

So this evening I managed to get round to putting it in the bike.

I'm very particular when I handle brake fluid and I have an old shower curtain that I carefully arrange around the reservoir to cover everything that could possibly be splashed. It looks a bit like a patient on an operating table with only the reservoir exposed!

Flushing new fluid through is fairly straightforward with the squeeze, nip and release method. Always a piece of tube off the nipple going into a container on the floor too.

All going well and the reservoir going clear very quickly. Then I noticed what looked like a black washer in the bottom of the reservoir. I thought I would give it a prod with a (clean) piece of wire and sure enough it was black sediment. So all fluid changing is doomed to pick up this muck left behind!!
I agitated as much as possible and flushed it down with more clean fluid. I allowed the level to fall nearly to the bottom and then carefully wiped out the remainder with a paper towel, turning my glove inside out over the towel and straight into the bin... (yeah obsessive, I know!).
A few top ups and pumps soon had nice clean fluid coming out of the bleed pipe and I'm now confident that I have as clean a system as possible without a strip.

We will now wait and see how long it stays clear!

I'm just wondering if the sediment left in the reservoir is the reason that the fluid always turns black so quickly after a change?
I've changed the fluid a few times, but never wiped the res' out, come to think of it I've never noticed the sediment until now because it forms such a neat ring in the bottom, it just looks like it's something that's meant to be there.

Just passing this on in case anyone else is missing the blatantly obvious, like me!.. Hope it helps.