View Single Post
Old 15-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
The carbs...

So having bought the FCR's and the short intakes, a test fit tells me that they don't fit.

The reason being that the diagonal brace in front of the vertical cylinder sits in the way of the horizontal cylinder carb body (and, yes I know the wrong carbs are fitted to the wrong intakes in this pic but I don't have another pic and you get the idea).

So out with the grinder, cut it off - job done.

However with the brace removed the horizontal cylinder carb just touches the underside of the main cross member (battery support rail) in front of the vertical cylinder.

Machining off 5-6mm from the FCR intake adapter shortens the intake sufficiently to lower the horizontal (downdraft carb) to clear the cross member and at the same time causes no issues to the vertical cylinder's sidedraft carb.

Now in removing the diagonal I have made the frame less rigid and hearing some reports that Monster frames are already a little 'flexible' I decide to put some strength back into it.

The removed diagonal goes back in, but has to sit further back on the frame so not quite as stiff as the original. I also put another brace across the other diagonal although it can't quite sit corner-to-corner but the thinking being that two braces in slightly compromised locations are better than one compromised and certainly better than none.

The FCR mod does away with the airbox and having studied the airbox area, particularly the front part behind the headstock I can see why Monster frame is more flexible than the 888 from which it was derived - it's missing the front bracing which doesn't fit in the Monster design due to the airbox placement.

So taking inspiration from the 888 and, it's descendant, the 916 - I set to work with some steel tubing, grinder and mig-welder, and add some bracing in the headstock area;

I reckon this frame will be stiff enough now.

Also after this pic when still grinder in hand I cut off a few 'random' brackets that are no longer required to tidy it up a little.

Frame now needs painting/powdercoating but wanting to do just one more test fit of the carbs to make sure the fit is good so need to re-fit the heads to check - I may even fit another diagonal cross-brace across the top of the now defunct airbox zone if there's space and access to the carbs.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote