View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #15
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Could be as simple as the tyres. When I first got my S4 it felt exactly the same, the bike was fitted with sports oriented tyres, the profile (esp the front) was "pointy".

Changed to Michelin Pilot Roads (with a far rounder profile) and the handling was much more neutral.

What tyres have you got fitted?
Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner winner, chicken dinner!

New set of MP Road 2's fitted. I wasn't there, but the tyre chap (who rides bikes/does track days) took one look at the front and said, unprompted "yeh, that's farked". (profile worn unevenly, steeper one side than the other).

Wasn't supposed to be far from a laptop this W/E, but took it for a spin anyway when we got the wheels back...

Even taking it easy (letting the pads relocate, sipes still glossy with mould release agent etc), vastly improved. Taking it off vertical, quickly lost the "no mommy, I don't want to" reluctance on my part - because it no longer pitches in abruptly while the front seems to telegraph that it's washing out and going away.

So, new tyres == win.

One strange thing; tyre guy filled them with 2.75 bar and 3 bar (I measured 40 psi front and 45 rear). Of course, I bleated that factory pressures were 2.1/2.2 bar. "Try it" was the response.

I figured they couldn't be any worse than the crap that came off, so rode it like that for a few miles before dropping pressures to 36 psi front and 38 psi rear.

Here's the odd thing; didn't really notice any significant difference between the two pressures at the rear (perhaps slightly more prone to tramline/follow road imperfections at the lower pressure).

However, with the higher pressures, the steering seemed fast, sharp, precise. Lowering the front pressure - it still steered well (maybe slightly slower) but still precise and tracked well, softer ride (well, duh) - but also more "wallowy" - like a hint of head-shake transiting the apex I didn't notice before.

Curious... Think I need more miles/testing to figure out how much is imagination and how much is increasing confidence causing me to be less cautious as the tyres scrub in and they feel better/I trust them more, but it's got me wondering...

I'll try the handbook figures next, but I think I may revisit higher pressures at some point. At least until the suspension gets baselined and/or a little better sorted. Because now it seems very obvious that the front suspension is saggy/soft with lots of travel - and very little compression or rebound damping. Starting to think there may be no oil in them... Various tools showing up for that soon, and I'll fit a fresh rear shock with an appropriate spring too.

Maybe if I'm lucky, the bushes will be worn and there'll be a reason for the poor damping. Yeah, I know they cheaped out on the rebound circuit on these Showas - but I have the exact same forks on the Sie and the Dark, and they feel fairly reasonable there..
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote