View Single Post
Old 13-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I just bought Jez's spare tank (ie) and noticed that the hinge had been previously repaired with solder. Jez hadn't noticed that it had been repaired and has used it for three years without any trouble or leaks.
I initially thought I would have the repair re-done by brazing, but why fix it if it aint broke? The repair hasn't effected the original paint on the top of the tank. The underside, where the repair is, can hardly be noticed under the red touched up paint.

My tank was brazed when I first bought my Monster with a busted and leaking hinge and it has stood up well with no bother. However the paint on the seat interface area was scorched off with the heat and there was always the risk of explosion from the flames, although the chappie was happy enough to do it by simply filling and emptying the tank with water.

I'm beginning to think that soldering might be a better method than my previously preferred brazing? It would seem to be safer, less damaging to the paint and just as effective. Probably more likely to be possible to do at home too?