View Single Post
Old 14-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgercharlie View Post
Hello,
I am trying to find out if anyone knows what the lowest frame number is on a 900m
and how many 900s had choke on the left side.
I take it you mean UK registered?

Easy one first: the choke knob was mounted on the LHS of the trellis frame for the ‘93 and ‘94 model years, then moved to the central nut on the top yoke for ‘95 and to the left handlebar sometime after that. Note: model years run November to October to suit the bike shows, so ‘93 Monster model year with the yellow rear suspension hoop only ran from May ‘93 till October ‘93.

In ‘93 there wasn’t yet a Ducati UK, so bikes arrived here through Moto Cinelli, the ‘Official Ducati Importer’ and sponsor of Foggy at the Superbikes and IoM.
Moto Cinelli sold to the public through a network of dealers, including Snells in Alton, and Three Cross Motorcycles. I have read that initially each dealer got a bike to sell and future production was dependent on selling all of them.

Other bikes arrived via other “unofficial’ importers though.

The Earlier UK registered bikes mostly seem to have frame numbers ending with numbers in the range of 0500 to 0530 and I know some of those have reference to Moto Cinelli on the registration document.

There are also early UK registered bikes with frame numbers ending in the range 0250 to 0280, which may also have come in via Moto Cinelli, or others?

It may be an interesting project for someone to research: I for one would like to know for certain which is the first registered UK Monster.

Last edited by Darkness; 14-05-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote