View Single Post
Old 29-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #1199
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I have not had much time on the Monster wiring these last few days as I had to fix a couple of other issues on my son's Jazz. The previous owner had fitted some aftermarket door mirrors but without side repeater indicators, and the MOT tester failed it not just for the rust but the lack of side repeaters.
What a can of worms. In fitting the door mirrors there is a harness in each door that goes to the mirrors with a 9-way block connector, for bits that are not fitted to this particular model (electric mirror adjustment, mirror heaters etc etc.). The moron had simply chopped the wires exiting the 9-way block connectors with about 6 mm spare and left them all bare ended. Nearly sorted now (awaiting the supplier of new mirrors to send me two that were LH and RH handed and for the same make of car - Doh!!) so I could get on with the bike today.
I have abandoned the wiring support arrangement into the MU unit, it was just too difficult to get the dimensions to work in the constrained space, it was too wide to fit tight to the headstock and if I spaced the MU unit away from the headstock it fouled the ignition switch and, if I then lowered it, encroaching on the space for the Ignitech unit became the issue. I must have spent about 12 hours making it and trying to fit it.
I had another less than 100% outcome in making up the oil cooler pipes. I originally intended to use 2 x 90-degree elbows to carry the oil cooler pipe behind the exhaust pipe, but when I looked at it with the unions in my hand I realised that the use of 2 unions before the elbow (one to the engine and one to the elbow) would have meant that the pipe between the two unions would have to be about 10mm long else the pipe would foul the exhaust.
I am using SS braided 8 mm bore pipe and it is a right bugger to work to get the union to screw onto it without a) fraying the SS braiding and b) tearing the ends of your fingers to shreds on the wickedly sharp cut ends of the braid. In the end, I wrapped the end in masking tape and cut it through the tape with a 1 mm cutting disc in the angle grinder.
When I made up the hose to the LH side of the cooler it had to go through 2 x 90 degree bends and the hose looks as though it has distorted, not quite to the extent of cutting off the flow but certainly there is the possibility of a restriction. It might just be the pipe twisting as I do up the unions
I spent this afternoon routing the wiring from the seat to the headstock and doing it a second then a third time until I was satisfied that I had the best, most hidden route clear of the rear suspension rocker, shock absorber, belt covers, petrol pipes, choke cable etc.
The big trouble with everybody else being home is that the home job list seems to grow?????

Last edited by 350TSS; 29-03-2020 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: correction
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote