View Single Post
Old 22-02-2022, 07:40 PM   #555
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
So today saw the start of engine strip down with Alec overseeing my work. I'm trying to work as he does being methodical in the right way. Initially we that's most of ukmoc too that the rear was oiling. Heres the thing though as I removed the spark plugs so compression would be less whilst turning to remove belts I had a surprise on the front plug. It was completely carbonated to the point of a crust and no vision through the side view. The rear technically looked ok.
So removed horizontal cylinder and on the lower part it had some black residue and on the head too but wiped off.
We could not see any obvious failings which is frustrating and because I have a full Ducati gasket top end build gasket set I removed the vertical rear cylinder. Now again it was not apparent with faults but was oily as suspected.
Alec wont allow me to presume without checking everything including valve stem seals that were replaced last time of course and having less than 400 miles use I need to be astute. He told me they are not great the stem seals they sell so I think I recall someone on here sourcing better.
I happy to right now fit brand new piston and ring sets but that's £300 or more butI dont yet have that sort of money and I'm not going to gamble this time .
Bores are fine btw.
Learning a lot too and carbs are all back together all clean inside and out with fresh gaskets and o rings.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote