View Single Post
Old 30-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #56
Dookbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I notice that you've put a nice polish on the inlet stubs.
I'm very likely to do the same someday.
Now, I realise that the difference it makes is miniscule but, just for interest's sake, what are your thoughts on whether the shiny surface is better for the carburation, or worse.
My thoughts are that it may well be better, as the polished surface would absorb less engine heat than the original, slightly matt finish ( thus keeping the mixture cooler).
If the shine makes it worse though, even by a tiny amount, then I probably wouldn't bother.
Shiny is nice, but not at the expense of efficiency. That would be sacrilege really.
I think that the polished finish probably will reduce the cooling effect on the fuel intake, but as you say, it will probably be miniscule, truth is I just couldn,t resist doing them. The truth also is that these were the worst inlet tubes I have ever seen, they must have been removed from the mould and thrown straight onto the bike. The amount of metal I had to remove to get rid of the casting marks will probably balance out the drop in cooling effect. I once polished the crankcases of a Norton 650 ss to a mirror finish, then a week later I read in a bike mag that it was the worst thing I could have done cooling wise. ( I wont tell you how long ago that was ) but it never overheated.