View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
As it wears, what gets lost on the opener is (in theory) gained on the closer so 'backwards' settings is a symptom of lack of maintenance.
Ok, here's the bit that is getting lost on me with all of the webpages and guides that I have read... where do you start to effectively zero your clearances? If that makes sense?

It's all good when you read measure the gaps, measure your shims then swap them based on the difference but if wear on one shim or the valves seating in the had impacts the measurements of the other then which bit do you account for first? As swapping one would then potentially cure the other.

Or is it a case of as the valves bed further into the head the opener clearance reduces and the closer increases so both have to be swapped to account for the whole valve seating further in and throwing them both out?

Apologise if this is a noob question but it has been the one part that has evaded me for the past week or so when reading around. I've never been a fan of just do this and it works solutions. I usually have to find out why before I'm happy.

Last edited by Macflurry; 05-08-2018 at 07:45 PM..
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote