View Single Post
Old 30-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I have an Oberon slave on my Monster but it also has an RCS master cylinder (16mm) which probably skews the results? as the clutch is lighter than that on my 916 which has an 'Evoluzione' slave cylinder that I believe is a larger bore than the Oberon?

Anyway, in the interest of science I recently did a clutch pull (weight) test to compare them, results were;

M900 with Oberon slave and RCS master = 6.7kg
916 with Evoluzione slave and standard master = 7.6kg

I'm not sure what standard clutch pulls are but somewhat heavier than the above.

Oh, and just for fun my Moto Guzzi Le Mans with standard cable operated clutch = 10kg.

I remembered this post and was determined to measure my bikes when I could find a spring balance.

So I found one in good old lbs.

M900Sie with Oberon slave and Goldline master.. 10lbs. Or 4.53kg.

Commando with cable, but not routed under the tank, just sweeping in one big arc from lever to gearbox... 22lbs. Or 9.97kg.

If the cable is pulled into any sort of shape other than the smooth sweeping arc, (as it would be when properly installed) the effort rises dramatically!

The Goldline master is 13mm. Oberon slave piston is 29mm, which I think gives a mechanical advantage of 6 (from memory.. I'm not going to work it out again!).
FactoryRacing slaves are 31mm btw.

I suggest that your RCS master @16mm, is producing less mechanical advantage (but more clutch lift). Hence the slightly heavier pull than mine.

Interested to see what a standard slave and master weigh in at....

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 30-09-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote