View Single Post
Old 19-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #25
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Erm, what's the difference? I mean, all you've actually done is set the rider sag to 36mm, no?
Yes, but in increasing the dynamic sag, it also resulted in adding static sag that hadn't existed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
What does it matter what the bike suspension does without a rider on it?! Why is it even relevant? That's what I still don't get.
As for its relevance, I can't do any better than quote the two bullet points from Tony Foale's explanations above:

With insufficient static sag (my words):

"• The static loaded position of the suspension is closer to the rebound stops, and so there is less suspension movement available before topping-out. So that occurs more often.
• The preload force means that when the suspension does top-out, it does so in a harder fashion."

Niall Mackenzie describes what that feels like to the rider and his experience tallies exactly with the recorded behaviour of the wheel in those circumstances as shown in Tony Foale's graph.

As I mentioned when I was describing my own experience, it's quite possible to set your dynamic sag within the recommended range and yet still have no or minimal static sag so I always now check the two and make sure they are both within their recommended ranges.

I would add that the same amount of factory set preload that gave me zero static sag on the Öhlins DU737 with the 115N/mm spring, gave the perfect static sag with a 105N/mm spring.

Not sure I can add any more so I hope that helps.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote