View Single Post
Old 19-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, I've done it both ways.
First I bridged the two live contacts in the sidestand connector, using thin stainless wire bent into a short "staple" shape.
But my number eventually came up when I absent mindedly thumbed the starter with the bike in gear on the sidestand .. result was a dented tank.
Since then I've been running the diode mod, which can be neater than the bypass kits if you splice the diode between the neutral switch and the sidestand relay.
But I should probably mention that since then I've had the occasional glitch, possibly due to an unrelated deterioration in the neutral switch, but which has occasionally had me disconnecting the diode circuitry.
Therefore, although I still reckon the diode mod is fine (and probably works in exactly the same way as the bypass kits) there is perhaps a minor uncertainty about it. I mention it for the sake of completeness more than anything but ultimately the choice is yours.
The bypass kits avoid this uncertainty but at much greater cost and with a bit less tidiness.
Having said that though, the neutral switches are known to be subject to deterioration and I think that is very likely to account for my current problem. I plan to replace mine before the bike emerges from its winter hibernation.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote