View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #867
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I only had a few of hours in the garage yesterday and it was hard work. First I filed the two 3mm polypropylene seat hump bits in the picture above so that they were uniform to each other, which involved clamping them together and filing between the clamps, moving the clamps and repeating. It took about an hour.
I think I would rather file 2mm mild steel than polypropylene, you cannot hold it easily in a vice because it marks easily and is too flexible, the material is self-lubricating and the file slides rather than cuts except when you apply too much pressure and “catch an edge” in which case it cuts easily and you end up with an unsightly groove.
No sooner than I had finished getting them to be uniform to each other than I realised that the removable one needed to be smaller in each dimension by the thickness of the ambla covering material otherwise the seat pad would sit proud of the seat hump, that took about another hour.
Then it occurred to me that the lid for the glove box would have to be smaller than the hole it fits in by 2 x the thickness of the CF it would be made of so more filing. The only consolation is that it is a whole lot better to find these things out before I make the CF bits than to discover it after they are formed.
Indoors, I revisited my Estimated Time to Completion (ETTC) and despite adding new jobs over the past week (CF headlamp side plates, headlamp support tube, connector support plate and removable seat hump pad) the ETTC has come down to 244 hours.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote