View Single Post
Old 13-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #54
The Clockie

I realise that this is some way away from Gary's famous adaptor rings but, like him, I'm always looking to enhance the visibility of my bikes. All get a LED headlamp bulb and a set of extra LED drls of one kind or another. Same situation with the 2013 HyperStrada 821; a Ducati which may well not be to the taste of most Monster owners! It's the newest bike I have and incorporates Canbus wiring and alternative riding modes which are rather unfamiliar to one of my age. And of course it has lights that don't power-up until the motor is running.

Anyway, I had to fit an LED H4 bulb that was Canbus-proof, and then added some COB LED strips to either side of the radiator shrouds. It looked very impressive, but along the way I seemed to have lost mainbeam function on the headlamp. Dip; yes, and mainbeam flash; yes, but no mainbeam full-on.

Rather dreading I'd corrupted some of the programming of the ECU, and worrying about how to get the bike past the MOT, I dismantled the headlamp again, at the same time trying another brand of LED with a canbus defeat add-on, and also putting the old halogen bulb back in. Basically, the HS headlamp is the worst I've ever come across for beam pattern and projection, but the design and style permit no alternatives. Anyway, all the bulbs I tried behaved the same: no mainbeam full-on.

Starting to tear my hair out, I dismantled the lighting switch but everything looked clean and good in there so no joy. That was until I realised that the mainbeam flash trigger seemed to have an additional function. You may have guessed: I'd been trying to alter the headlamp beam by using the other switch in the block that accesses the riding modes! Oh dear So all is well after all, but it means I need to re-program what remains of my brain before taking each bike out...

Nick