View Single Post
Old 27-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
the lodger

Bike: M900
Starter motor cables

I thought I would post my experience of fitting Exact-Start starter motor cables to my Monster M900 ( to cure a very lazy starter )

You get 3 cables in the kit ( ES-20 in my case )
- battery to solenoid
-solenoid to starter motor
-battery to engine earth

All the cables are chunky and in truth a bit too long , which makes them awkward to fit , particularly to the solenoid. I struggled with the solenoid connections , until I gave up and removed the airbox , which makes access easier but then creates more work in terms of dismantling and then refitting the airbox to the carbs .

The kit comes with red cable ends ( x3 ), whereas I would have preferred 2 black and one red, so I just reused two of my black originals. Also the battery to starter motor cable is red , and although they say you can cover it with black shrinkwrap ( to make it less obvious ) they don't supply it with the kit I've no idea why they thought red was good in the first place.

Ok so minor comments aside , does it make any difference ?

It certainly does ! I only have to look at the starter motor button and the Duc thunders into life . Amazing difference !

So if you are blaming your high comp engine/ old battery/starter motor for a lazy turnover it's certainly worth checking out your cables first before trying the other things I have to caveat this by saying that I would not necessarily buy the kit again . It is quite expensive. I think you could achieve something very similar by removing your cables and matching them up at your local Halfords etc and save yourself a good few £s ( and get cables nearer to the correct lengths. You might get away with just replacing the starter to solenoid cable first to see if that cured your problem.