View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #34
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
More progress on the seat, the process is very long and very arduous. First make the skeleton, rub it down and skim with body filler, rub that down and you break through to the foam so at least another skim and rub down is required.
Then paint with primer resin and rub down again, find you have broken through again re-skim with body filler and re paint with primer resin and rub down again. paint with high gloss mould resin and rub down again with 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 wet and dry paper and see if the surface will take a high polish. If not repeat the previous processes. Then polish with rubbing compound and polish to a high gloss.
That gets you a male mould from which you can make a female mould that will be the basis of the finished article. 5 coats of release agent are then applied and the female mould can be defined. It has however to be made in such a way that it can be separated from the male mould. This involves cutting a sheet of clear polyester to match the profile of the male mould along a line where the mould will be split about 50mm bigger than the profile of the male mould. Using the polyester foam blocks glue gunned to the male mould attach the clear polyester sheet and seal the edges with wax so that there is no casting line in the female mould. Use the wax to form pyramids on the clear polyester sheet about every 75 mm to form registers so that the mould will always go back in exactly the same place.
Apply 5 coats of release agent to the polyester sheet and then apply I gel coat resin to one half of the mould and the polyester sheet mould divider then 3 or 4 layers of glass fibre matt and let it cure. When cured strip off the polyester sheet mould divider and apply release agent to the face exposed by removal of the divider, then gel coat and 3/4 layers of fibreglass to the other side of the mould. That gets you a repeatable female mould.
Apply another 5 coats of release agent followed by high gloss resin, followed by the CF sheet and resin 3 or four layers as required for strength.
So far I have made the male mould and cut the polyester sheet for the mold divider. However every time I look at the male mould I think I could do better
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote