View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #38
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Bit of an update ...

I've made the connector stubs.
The design includes a short section where the bore tapers from the 750 exhaust port dia to the big bore pipe dia, over about a 10mm length.
It looks "right" at least ... time will tell as to how well it functions.

I had a bit of a setback with the welding.
Last time I needed some welding done (beyond my personal skill level) I found a brilliant guy to do the job.
He actually had the exhaust from Michael Dunlop's TT BMW on the bench when I first went there, so I knew I had the right guy for the job.
But, 12 months later I find that he's packed up shop and gone to earn better money welding for Rolls Royce.
Bugger.
So, long story short, I've just got back from the car exhaust place down the road, clutching my newly welded system.
Actually its not fully welded yet .. I've left one joint just tacked so that I can do a trial fit and check that nothing has moved before getting the final joint welded.
I had to settle for mig rather than tig but the welder is a biker himself so at least he had the right kind of empathy.
The finished welds aren't too snotty and should dress up quite neatly.
As soon as I've finished my coffee and my bacon and brie panini, I'll be heading nervously out to the shed to try it for fit.
Wish me luck.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote