Thread: Flaming RR51
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
Nasher

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
So do these just connect across the battery terminals or do they need a switched circuit?
Direct accross the battery - with a fuse.

Fitted the new Reg/Rec and warning lamp yesterday afternoon, then got out for a quick blat round.

Will take some images later in the week, but fitted the reg/rec on it’s side in the standard position, mounted on a 3mm thick Aluminium plate which sticks out about 10mm all round to hopefully keep it even cooler. I know it’s overkill, but I really don’t want to see the old girl on fire again.

The engine side cables on the Triumph cable were long enough to connect to the M900 alternator cables.
I nearly soldered them, thinking that with the plug on the end of the cable at the Reg/Rec another disconnect is not required, remember the original Ducati Reg/Rec and RR51 both have a pigtail not plugs at the unit, but decided I’d use a couple of 30A blades I have hanging around as they could be positioned in an easier place to reach to disconnect with a hot engine.

The battery side Triumph cables split into two a couple of inches from the Reg/Rec plug and go down in size considerably, so I chopped them off and joined on some longer lengths of 30A cable which I took direct to the battery.
I added an inline blade fuse holder just behind the battery as as easy way to isolate and protect the Reg/Rec.

With the engine not running my multi-meter had the battery at 12.8V after charging for a few hours, then 14.3V with the engine running at idle.
Interestingly, on increasing the revs it popped up to 14.3V off idle and didn’t go any higher no matter how much I tried to annoy the neighbours on a quite Sunday afternoon.

I’d been in the garage all afternoon by that point, had been at the Hayling Island Hot Rod and Custom show all morning, and wanted a ride out on the bike before I completely upset Mrs Nasher, so quickly lengthened the cables on the battery Charge monitoring LED ‘Thing’, I connected the negative direct to the battery –ve post, and T’d the +ve to the ignition output that powers the main relay.
Then I drilled a 14mm hole in a spare ignition switch surround I had and dropped it in there temporarily, remembering to remove the link. It does fit Gazza, quite nicely actually, But I really don’t want to leave it there. I’m going to fit it in place of the bulb in the standard warning light block, and replace the standard Red lens with a clear or slightly opaque white one. I’m also going to use your idea of adding a switch across the link pins to use it in both functions.

With the ignition on the light is Yellow/Orange, but once the engine is running it turns green, then back to yellow/Orange a few seconds after the ignition goes off.
The only bad comment I’d make is that it’s not that bright when viewed in sunlight, so I may have an issue with my plan of putting it in the warning light block.

Nasher.