View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 08:14 AM   #44
Flip

Bike: M900
I carried out a bit of a refresh on my 1997 900 around 2016 but like I said with these earlier models getting on a bit it is kind of an on going thing doing little jobs here and there to keep them at their best- unless of course you go full restoration like Albie for example.

As for the fuel issue, mine was not entirely the result of Ethanol but also simply the effects of aging which manifested itself as fuel vapour lock in a combination of hot weather and being in slow moving traffic causing the bike to run very rough and eventually out. Once cooled down it would run normally again but there was an obvious problem that needed to be addressed.

I went the 'replace the lot' route as I didn't want a continual string of stripping it and replacing parts. Moto Rapido (as usual) were amazing in getting me replacement fuel and vacuum hoses along with the non-rebuildable vacuum fuel tap (about £30). The vacuum fuel pump is a Mikuni item (used on snow mobiles of all things) and a rebuild kit for this is available from Allens Performance.

I don't think any of it is specifically Ethanol safe but I am a lot more vigilant at fill ups to use Super Unleaded (Esso if possible) and particularly when I know I won't be using the bike for a while to use a fuel stabiliser which so far all seems to have worked.

Fuel Pipes:

Parts:

Fuel Pump:

Insides:

Fuel Tap:

Last edited by Flip; 09-10-2022 at 08:18 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote