View Single Post
Old 27-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #107
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I trimmed the brake hanger bracket today. I tried a jigsaw to trim it but with a (short) metal cutting blade it would not negotiate the bends without disengaging and banging on the bracket, so it was out with the rasp. I took 16mm off widthways and it only took about 30 minutes. I would have liked to take more off but that would mean I would have to re-manufacture the steel bracket that is to be brazed to the frame, also the rigidity of the bracket has reduced significantly and any more off would have weakened it too much I think.
Aesthetically it is much better now and when the bulk of the tank and the seat are added above I think it will look OK and if it is still too prominent it can always be painted to match the tank/seat
I originally intended to use male/female vibration mounts (as fitted to the oil cooler mounts), 2 x 15mm at top and 25mm at bottom to secure it to the frame/exhaust but I have decided to use the grommet and top hat washers (as used for the rear tea tray/number plate mounts) at the top which will keep the bracket tucked closer to the centre line of the frame. The bracket is consequently still not fail safe but I will be using the same mount as for the oil cooler so I only need to carry one spare if I choose to take the bike to see my mate in the south of France.

screen shot
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote