Thread: How much oil?
View Single Post
Old 20-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
On my 750, I found that the oil level varies quite a lot as the bike is tipped from side to side but varies much less if it is tipped fore and aft.
If you think about it in terms of degrees of rotation of the engine, this is not surprising as it is very easy for the engine to rotate side to side by five or ten degrees as the bike is tipped over whereas a similar amount of fore and aft tipping would require one wheel to be raised or lowered by a very large amount .. perhaps a foot or more in old money.
Therefore I don't trust myself to hold the bike vertical in the sideways plane while checking the level.
On the other hand, I find that its fine to check the level with the bike on the rear paddock stand. The inch or two that the rear is raised has very little effect on the level in the sight glass.
But I'm fussy about the side to side levelling to the extent that I sometimes even drop a spirit level on the tank cap to check the sideways levelling ... it sounds over fussy but why not, its easy enough to do.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote