View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #5
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I have no direct experience of sliders but from the pictures/drawings I have seen of them, I think the design generally is very unsophisticated. Directly bolting a lump of hard nylon to the nearest frame/ engine mount will surely transfer a significant proportion of any shock loading to the frame and or engine, if they are sufficiently long they may save gravel rash on the frame or tank or depending on the direction of travel may catch a kerb or rut and dig in, flipping the bike.
I think the crash protection system would benefit from a shock absorbing element between the hard nylon end which is designed to slide along the road and the anchorage to the frame/engine. If the nylon end was effectively a piston sliding into a bore with a block of rubber or some material similar to putty which on impact would be forced through some restricted diameter escape holes at the frame end of the bore, then I think that would be a much better solution. It would be difficult to do without excessive bulk or excess weight but not beyond the wit of man.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote