View Single Post
Old 29-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #115
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Glad you agree. The rationale for the near vertical aluminium bracket was to align with the rear suspension hoop, but that is now history.
The last picture with the brake master cylinder shows a clash between the bolt head holding the exhaust hanger and the brake pipe union. In reality it will be slightly worse when I fit the brake light pressure switch (necessary because there is no mounting place for a standard mechanical contact switch) which has an even larger footprint than the union. In order to maintain lateral alignment of the brake actuator rod and the centre of the brake master cylinder, I can only spacer the master cylinder about 6mm from the face of the rear set which is not quite enough to give the necessary clearance. This will require a bit of pondering, which is, I think, always the best bit about building a modified bike - how best to make the modification safely, in a way that you have the capability to manufacture the modification, and that is elegant (minimalist), durable, functional and aesthetically pleasing and is maintainable.
A hydraulic switch is probably more reliable but its positioning is not ideal and there will be a lead to it outside the main frame rail so not aesthetically pleasing.
Ducati mechanical rear brake switches are notoriously unreliable, I must have replaced at least one on each of my 4 Ducatis and they always seem to misbehave the on the day before MOT. Also the arrangement of the rear set has no obvious location to mount a bracket to hold the unreliable Ducati switch.
If I stare at it long enough I am sure a solution will become evident.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote