View Single Post
Old 19-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Flip

Bike: M900
Completely echo what the others have already said and at the risk of boring everyone with yet another photo of my 1997 900 here it is looking a little dirty after the last ride of 2016:

I too am the second owner of mine after a mate bought it new and sold it to me when he moved abroad two years later having only done around a thousand miles on it.

All the mods you can see along with those you can't are reversible except for the Maxton forks- but why would you want to revert back to the horrible standard suspension anyway?

I still have all the standard parts that I've changed over the years, including the rear shock, the original brake hoses and exhaust cans along with every engine bolt all bagged, tagged and boxed.

The mirrors fitted to your bike are not the original 'Mickey Mouse ears' so it might be worth you looking out for a pair if only to bag up and put away- some people like them others not so- I have a pair of DP tear drop ones on mine which although smaller give a better view behind (for me at least) but I doubt you can get them anymore.

One thing I will say, with such a low mileage over such a long time I would take the clutch cover off fairly regularly to check the oil seal behind the basket isn't leaking- it did on mine once it started getting used again and seems to be a favourite weakness on low mileage bikes- Ducati motors like to be used!!

Also might be worth changing the clutch hose for a braided one too as you'll almost certainly be able to feel it bulge when you operate it and the braided line will give you a little more clutch control too.

There's a whole list of things that'll make the standard bike feel nicer to ride as you get familiar with it so don't be afraid to ask.

Oh and I would also be very careful about using a machine to polish the tank as the '97 bikes were about the last to be hand sprayed from start to finish and it would be a shame for that to get damaged. Mine has remained shiny and bright with regular washes and the use of good quality polish after.

But most importantly ..... enjoy it!!!