View Single Post
Old 22-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi Rob

Sorry to hear your recovery has not been straightforward.

Massive thanks to all you have done over the years for UKMOC (and Liz and Pedro).

For what it's worth, I think UKMOC should continue as UKMOC and ditch affiliation with Ducati as an official DOC. I don't think the benefits of affiliation are worth the ball-ache of dealing with Bologna (even speaking as one of the minority of members who has benefitted from discounted WDW tickets on 4 occasions and several Ducati factory/museum visits).

Over the years the emphasis from Ducati has been less on DOCs being factory supported clubs, more on factory directed/dictated clubs. It was bad enough having to change the font of the O in the UKMOC logo to comply with Bologna's rules, but to me having to change the club's name is a step too far.

The real value in UKMOC is the internet forum, with the collected experience and expertise of the members, particularly about Monster matters - brains to pick about technical issues, aftermarket parts & modifications. That, and the friendship and social events e.g. Weekenders. We need to find a way of keeping this aspect of UKMOC going (not involving Facebook).

If it's a question of the cost of keeping the forum hosted, other forums offer an opportunity to donate towards running costs (rather than having official "membership" with the need for a committee, treasurer etc). Could something like Patreon, Ko-fi etc be used if disaffiliation makes it harder to cover costs through banner advertising?.

I realise I have been a rubbish member the last couple of years (retreating into my own little off-internet world, since the bike forums reminded me too much of what I was missing during lockdown). I can see that while some of the long standing members are still stalwarts, there are newer Monsteristi who have risen to the challenge (Moco1961 taking on organising Weekenders in an exceptionally difficult period), which is fantastic to see.

Right now, I can't see myself ever owning another bike apart from my 696s, and I really hope that UKMOC as I know and love it will continue, but not as a DOC given the direction of travel.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote